French toast mee koo
The best gifts that you can give anyone will be the gifts that come from your heart, don’t you agree? For example, home-cooked dishes, handmade soaps, chilli sauces, jams, pickles etc.
In the past few days, I received two special gifts – (1) homemade steamed turtle buns and (2) home cooked gula melaka sago (sago in gula melaka). What a TREAT! And how lucky and blessed my family and I are.
Today I am going to share with you one of my childhood favourites – french toast mee koo. But before that, let’s talk a little bit about mee koo.
Picture source: Nonya Flavours – Compilation of 150 original recipes handed from mother to daughter, or aunt to niece through several generations.
Mee Koo is a hokkien word for steamed turtle buns. They are actually Chinese steamed buns set in a turtle shape.
Tortoise / turtle is believed to have a long life, thus the buns are shaped as turtles to symbolise longevity. However, nowadays, it is common to see mee koo in the shape of a round cloured bun.
We normally make these buns during festivities like Chinese New Year, birthdays, during hungry ghosts festival etc, and coloured in a layer of pink bread skin to celebrate the auspicious celebrations. I still remember my grandma having them at the altar during Chinese new year offerings.
How do you eat them?
- Steam it and eat it just as it is. Because there is already sugar in the bun, it is already sweet by itself.
- Dip in curry sauces.
- Steam it and apply jam or kaya (coconut egg custard) to it.
- French toast style – mee koo
So today, I am going to share with you how to make French toast mee koo. Remember, because the bun itself is very sweet, you do not need to add sugar to the egg.
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1-2 loaf of mee koo; peel the skin and slice about 2cm in width.
- Heat up pan, add cooking oil.
- Once the pan is heated, dip mee koo into the egg mixture, soaking both sides thoroughly.
- Place mee koo slices on pan on medium heat until browned and crisp on both sides.
- Serve hot with kopi or coffee.
Get fresh milk, fruit & vegetables, meat & seafood, organic food and groceries all with easy home delivery!